Sunday, October 17, 2010

Recipe: Butternut Masala Chai Chocolate Chip Muffins

I grew up under the perpetually sunny skies of California.  I did not have the concept of the air cooling, becoming crisp, the leaves changing, covering the streets in red and gold and the need for spice and warmth, making you want to bake.  This fall in Milwaukee has been unseasonably warm. My fall vest is still in the closet but the urge to bake is still strong!  That urge to bake led me to my collection of squash.  I have a pie pumpkin, but that’s too predictable.  So, I decided to experiment with the butternut and my delicious Rishi Tea Chai concentrate!

It only made sense to pair my butternut with the aromatic spices of chai and I love chocolate so all together I made Butternut Chai Chocolate Chip Muffins! - Susana Mojica


Ingredients:
1 cup of butternut (I cubed and baked at 375 for about half an hour, then mashed with a fork, that way you end up with a few chunkies!)
2 eggs
1 stick of butter (cream with sugar a bit)
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 cup of Rishi Tea chai concentrate
(Mix ingredients together) 
2 cups of flour (I used a half wheat, half white blend)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 baking soda
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp star anise
1tsp allspice
1tsp salt
(Mix dry ingredients together)
1 cup of chocolate chips

Mix the first set of ingredients.  Add the dry ingredients to the dry ingredients without over mixing. Mix in the chocolate chips

Bake at 375 for 24 minutes.   Bake until a toothpick comes out dry.

Makes 18 small muffins

Enjoy with a hot cup of chai!

2 comments:

meek-to-chic said...

I made these twice and they turned out AMAZING both times. I used dark chocolate chunks instead of chips the second time, and it really made them a true indulgence! Everyone that tried them said they were amazing, so thank you for this great recipe!

Rishi Tea said...

Thank you for the comment Angie.Your addition of the dark chocolate chunks sound great - we'll have to give that a try. So glad you enjoyed the muffins!